AUTUMN AND WINTER FLAVOUR PAIRINGS:
KILLER COMBINATIONS FOR COLDER DAYS
Flavour Pairings: the easiest way to achieve a unique spin on seasonal classics.
As the air finally turns cooler and the days become shorter, we say goodbye to the warm, lingering summer. Whether you love or loathe the changing of the season, we all look, with great expectation, to our local cafes, in expectation of new delights and indulgences on the drinks menu. Out comes the pumpkin spice syrup, the whipped cream, the mini marshmallows and the oozing caramel drizzle.
It goes without saying, that nailing the seasonal drinks menu can make all the difference for footfall and loyalty in the winter months. But how does a cafe get the perfect balance of delivering on those expected favourites, in an operationally efficient way, whilst setting itself apart from the competition?
To help us answer this question, our friends at Kerry Foods have combined their market research and social media listening, to highlight the cafe market's most popular flavour pairings for the upcoming season.
The logic is simple. By adding an established secondary flavour to a core favourite, it's easier to create drinks that are both unique and well-received.
As always, we have included some recipe examples, but this one is really down to you. What combination will make it onto your menu?
CORE FLAVOUR: CARAMEL
RECIPE EXAMPLE: SALTED CARAMEL & TOFFEE HOT CHOCOLATE
- Add a blue scoop of Chocolate Abyss powder to a glass and mix with a little hot water to form a paste.
- Add a pump / 2 pumps of salted caramel syrup.
- Top with flat milk.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a drizzle of toffee topping sauce.
CORE FLAVOUR: CHOCOLATE
- toffee nut
RECIPE EXAMPLE: HOT CHOCOLATE ORANGE
- Add 1 blue scoop of Chocolate Abyss 40 powder to a mug and mix with a dash of hot water
- Add 2 pumps DaVinci Orange syrup
- Top with steamed milk
- decorate with cream and chocolate curls
CORE FLAVOUR: GINGERBREAD
- dark chocolate
RECIPE EXAMPLE: GINGERBREAD & CARAMEL SHAKE
- Add 2 pumps DaVinci Gingerbread syrup to 1 scoop of Chocolate Abyss 30 powder and mix to a paste
- top with half a glass of milk
- Use Aerolatte or a whisk to dissolve & fluff (note that skimmed milk stiffens best).
- Carefully top up with ice cubes.
- Garnish with your preferred combination of cream, caramel sauce and crushed gingerbread
CORE FLAVOUR: TURMERIC
RECIPE EXAMPLE: PUMPKIN TURMERIC LATTE
- Add 1tsp (3g) the Golden Turmeric Chai powder to a 12oz cup
- Dissolve with a little hot water
- Add 2 pumps DaVinci Spiced Pumpkin syrup
- Top up with flat latte milk